[olug] Open source monitoring system?

Brian Roberson roberson at olug.org
Thu Apr 16 15:05:11 UTC 2009

I'd have to through my vote in for Nagios as well, I cant even begin to tell
you all the cool things I have done with it over the years. php/perl
frontends to automate configurations, plug-in's to monitor obscure stuff,
like the output of raid controller command line utilities (on a windows box,
none the least) to tell me raw hardware raid status, checking dates on virus
definitions, looking at log files.... highly extensible and usable. I would
have to say the only pitfall I found with it, and it was more of a
deployment issue than a real problem, was at what point you make the system
distributed, and how you do this. At one point in a previous life, I had
nagios checking over 500 hosts and 3000 services on those hosts, that was a
bit too much for a single box (at least the box I was running).