[olug] OT (Cox Modem)

Luke-Jr luke at dashjr.org
Mon Apr 6 20:45:35 UTC 2009

On Sunday 05 April 2009 08:37:33 pm Jack wrote:
> My modem is a Motorola Surfboard SB3100.

Yeah, that's pretty ancient. Bet it doesn't even support DOCSIS 1.1

> I'm not sure what porting the modem to Linux means.

Porting Linux to the modem means running Linux on the modem, instead of the
VxWorks that is designed for the SB3100. But it's also probably near
impossible for something that old, as the SB3100 doesn't have a MMU. :(

> I was wondering why they were so eager to get me into a new modem.  I guess
> it makes sense that the new modems have more bells and whistles that can be
> more easily controlled by the ISP.  I just don't see how that benefits me.

They probably want to drop DOCSIS 1.0 support. Who said it benefits you?