[olug] [OT] IT degrees

Christopher Cashell topher-olug at zyp.org
Mon Apr 6 19:36:54 UTC 2009

On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 5:46 PM, Sam Tetherow <tetherow at shwisp.net> wrote:
> Finding someone who can program beyond simple hacks who does not have
> some formal education in CS though it a rarity. If you are looking at
> less than 10000 lines of code sure you can get by, but if your looking
> at a project of any size you really do need all that 'theory crap'.

I would agree with this.

Additionally, I think a big issue that shows up a *lot* these days is
the lumping of non-Computer Science IT degrees in with "Computer
Science".  Almost everyone I know who has an actual Computer Science
degree is a very competent programmer.  Where you run into problems is
with the MIS degrees and the dozens of other Information
Science/Technology degrees that are *not* Computer Science.  Most of
these degrees have very little in the way of programming requirements,
and many (most?) of the people coming out of school with them are very
poor (or even worthless) programmers.

Unfortunately, because these MIS/IS/IT degrees require significantly
less math and computer science course work, they're much easier.  And
they're also a *lot* more popular.  It seems to be getting harder to
find real Computer Science graduates by comparison.  In fact, most
programming job postings no longer specify a requirement for a
Computer Science degree.  Instead you see a job posting that lists
"Computer Science or related degree" as a required/desired attribute,
and that contributes to the diluted standing of Computer Science.

Personally, when I'm reviewing resumes or interviewing someone, seeing
a Computer Science (or Electrical Engineering, or Computer
Engineering) degree counts for something.  Seeing MIS/IS/IT/etc counts
for significantly less.

--
Christopher