[olug] [OT] IT degrees

Benjamin Watson bwatson1979 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 22:17:27 UTC 2009

The original poster asked about on-line vs. traditional brick and
mortar.  To be perfectly honest, it doesn't really matter so much as
the institution is accredited by a reputable (nationally recognized)
agency (e.g. ABET).  I opted for the brick and mortar route for my BS
(Computer Engineering) and MS (Telecom Engineering) because I thought
I'd have a hard time motivating myself on-line.  When I was on my way
to earning my BS, the CEEN program was still in the running to get
ABET certified.  Had that not happened, my degree wouldn't be worth as
much nationally.  Plus, there's something to be said for face-to-face
conversations with professors and learning how to team-build with
fellow students.

Even though I have degrees, I've often entertained the idea of getting
some certs.  From what I've uncovered on my own, certs are fairly
narrow in scope compared to 4-year degree programs.  If you want to
work on Cisco gear and only Cisco gear, go get a CCNA.  If you want to
understand the concepts/fundamentals that went into the design of
Cisco gear and apply that to ANY network/equipment, go get your 4-year
degree.  I'm not trying to downplay certs and upsell 4 year degrees as
both make great resume fodder.

I think Bill Brush hit the nail on the head with respect to
characteristics people look for when hiring.  The funny thing is, you
don't need a 4-year degree or certs to have those characteristics.
I've had the pleasure of working with some extraordinary brilliant
individuals that had only a high school diploma but could code circles
around me and most others I know.  However when you talk to these
folks, they sometimes wish they had that piece of paper for job
security/prospects/career-advancement.

Ben