[olug] Community Colo Project

Luke-Jr luke at dashjr.org
Fri Apr 3 06:21:44 UTC 2009

Wow, I should really read the list more often!
(and more of you should come on IRC ;)

I'm too lazy to read the hundreds of emails already in this thread, so I don't
know what's already done or in need right now... I have a full height server
rack that could be used. Also a PowerEdge 6400 (2x 512 MHz) that I use for
family email, website, etc. It's setup for OpenVZ, though I haven't actually
used it on that machine yet.

I currently have my own just-me game and VPS hosting company using dedis in
Texas, Connecticut, and London. Is the scope of this project merely
colocation, or maybe we should offer VPS hosting as well? ;)

As far as bandwidth management, something to consider might be agreeing to set
reasonable QoS flags, and having a router that honours them. So any bulk
transfer would get flagged as low-priority while VoIP type stuff could be
flagged as minimize-latency.

Luke