[olug] [OT] IT degrees

Bill Brush bbrush at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 05:06:10 UTC 2009

Wow, what a discussion.

Let me say that I just finished an online degree, and I learned a ton
(non-technical field of study.)  So yes, an online degree can be quite
valuable.

I will also say that a degree can be completely and utterly worthless.  Two
people from the same school, going through the same program can both
graduate, and one will have a worthless degree and one will have a
worthwhile education.  Note the difference in noun there.  School is a lot
like bank account, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it.

I've been in the I.T. industry for about 15 years now, and the last ten I've
been in a position to help interview a lot of people.

Here are the key factors that lead us to hire people:

Shows initiative
Shows a desire to learn and develop
Has basic technical skills
Has aptitude for computers
Has personality that will mesh with the team
Is passionate about their interest in I.T.

Basically if you love working with computers, do it during your time off,
love to learn new skills, and are willing to learn, you're an ideal
candidate.  People who are just getting into I.T. because "I think it will
be really interesting, and I want a job that is always changing," come
across as "I want a job that won't bore me, and I hope computers will be it,
but I never touch one outside of class or work."

Really if you want to get into the I.T. industry all you have to do is prove
that you are willing to do whatever it takes.  Volunteer as computer support
for some place.  Do internships.  Do SOMETHING.

I'll just say that anyone in the Lincoln area that wants to get practical
hands-on experience working in I.T. can just let me know, and I'll see what
I can do to get them the experience.    I won't promise you'll get paid, in
fact you probably won't, but I can (probably) get you a chance to get your
hands dirty and learn from some very sharp people.  (We're fun too.)

Bill