[olug] [OT] IT degrees

Awais Khan frontsidelockslide at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 22:59:13 UTC 2009

i have assoc from ITT in networking. And IMHO book learning and some real
world work are totally different. (I can definetly say that I learned more
USEFUL stuff out of school that in it) I would say get some certs, because
you dont have to commit to putting years of work into it, and they alone are
good enogh to get entry level jobs.

I say that because looking at job ads lately, the only thing that seems to
cary any weight is Bachelor's or more anymore. Some ads say Bachelor's is a
must, but a Master's is perferred.

As far as online classes, I guess you would get out what you put into it.
Are you gonna try to pass the class, or do you plan to learn the material
... cause that's two different things

iono, IMHO (and it is humble in this company) , start with the certs,
associates anit squat so try to find a school where you can atleast get a
bachelor's (and beyond if possible)