[olug] [OT] IT degrees

Sam Tetherow tetherow at shwisp.net
Thu Apr 2 22:46:15 UTC 2009

As someone who has hired plenty of tech staff I would have to say you
must have had some bad luck then.

I agree with the general sentiment that for programming a degree in CS
is desired (although I have hired some good programmers without it). For
system administration a degree doesn't count for much compared to
experience and certs.

Finding someone who can program beyond simple hacks who does not have
some formal education in CS though it a rarity. If you are looking at
less than 10000 lines of code sure you can get by, but if your looking
at a project of any size you really do need all that 'theory crap'.

Sure there are exceptions to the rule. There are some bright people
doing good work on massive projects without degrees and I have
definitely met my fair share of degree holders that didn't have a clue.
But when it came down to it I always found that the quality of
programmer was generally higher if they held a CS degree (or atleast had
2-3 years worth or coursework).

Sam Tetherow
Sandhills Wireless