[olug] [OT] IT degrees

Will Langford unfies at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 22:29:36 UTC 2009

On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 5:15 PM, Jay Hannah <jay at jays.net> wrote:

> Phil Brutsche wrote:
> > If you're gonna be a programmer (C, C#, C++, Java, whatever) then a CS
> > degree is a must-have.
>
> Huh. I must be composed of anti-matter.

I'm an exception (GED, no college education, writing device drivers and
performing all kinds of *nix sys/net/db admin tasks).

I will note however:

A CS degree is toilet paper IMHO.

Get a CE.

I've met ... I think... two people with a CS that had a clue what they were
doing, the other hundreds I've seen were totally useless.

And by useless I mean they were as qualified for any of our technical jobs
as a cashier at NF would be.

For your electives, take networking classes for sure.

-Will