[olug] Post your uptime...

Matthew Platte 51 at triopticon.com
Mon Sep 29 15:33:20 UTC 2008

> Matthew Platte wrote:
>> This is, of course, a machine in my basement.  A UPS doesn't help much
>> when the residential power outage is longer than a very few minutes.
>
> You need a bigger UPS... or fewer machines... or smaller machines... or
> three!
>
> My own personal email server (the one that hosts brutsche.us) will run
> 30+ minutes on a UPS that cost ~$100.
>
> --
>
> Phil Brutsche
> phil at brutsche.us

Heh. You can *buy* computer gear!?  Mine comes from the recycling,
hand-me-down stream.  Portsmouth is an IBM Netvista desktop box that's
probably 7 years old now.  When I look at the hardware being cast off
these days, though, it doesn't seem to be as good as in years past.  Maybe
I'm getting pickier....

But yes, you're certainly right about matching the machine to the task.
With that in mind, I have been looking at the Newegg lately for hardware
and it seems quite affordable and certainly more capable.  And physically
smaller, too.

--