[olug] Conundrum: Wireless Network Connection on a Kubuntu 8.04 Laptop

Dan Linder dan at linder.org
Sat Sep 20 13:35:19 UTC 2008

My laptop doesn't have any wireless entries in it's /etc/network/interfaces
file:
$ cat -n interfaces
     1  auto lo
     2  iface lo inet loopback
     3  address 127.0.0.1
     4  netmask 255.0.0.0
     5
     6
     7  #iface ppp0 inet ppp
     8  #provider ppp0
     9
    10  #auto ppp0
    11
    12  iface eth0 inet dhcp
    13
    14  auto eth0

If it helps any, I'm using KNetworkManager under Kubuntu 8.04 and D-Link
PCMCIA card.

If you disable WEP on your home network as a test, does it connect and say
connected? When you get the 57% (signal strength?), does it get an IP
address?  Or is the "57%" referring to the bar-graph that KNetworkManager
shows as it's coming up?

My ~/.kde/share/config/knetworkmanagerrc has a section like this:
[Network_n2uqqsJNnpiNwXnl]
Cipher=0
ESSID=home714
Encryption=WPA
HardwareAddresses=00:E0:98:54:16:68
Timestamp=2008,8,9,21,47,23
Trusted=true
WPAProtocol=AUTO
WPAVersion=WPA1

What does your home network section look like?

Dan

On Sat, Sep 20, 2008 at 7:52 AM, Joe Gulizia <jrguliz at yahoo.com> wrote:

> My son has an HP nv6815 laptop running Kubuntu 8.04 which I had working
> using a Belkin Network USB stick.
>
> After it broke once (and has been fixed) I went looking for another option
> and found a Belkin N1 Express Network card which fits into his machine
> nicely.  It should work with the release of the next Ubuntu upgrade to
> kernel 2.6.27 (possible driver download from Atheros).
>
> Trying the compat-2.6-old as suggested in the documentation guide broke the
> connection to the old USB...which I think I have close to working.
>
> I get 57% into the wireless connectivity then NOTHING.  I'm using WEP
> encryption on the home network.
>
> It does locate other hotspots also...couldn't verify connectivity there
> though (their hot spot had problems, they said).
>
> What is a typical
> /etc/network/interfaces for wireless supposed to look like? I might have a
> line in that wrong at this point.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Joe

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" (Who can watch the watchmen?) -- from the
Satires of Juvenal
"I do not fear computers, I fear the lack of them." -- Isaac Asimov (Author)