[olug] Chrome

Sam Tetherow tetherow at shwisp.net
Wed Sep 3 20:41:40 UTC 2008

T. J. Brumfield wrote:
>> As for the Javascript and CSS coders out there, if Google sticks to the
>> specs for both there shouldn't be any issues.  If there are specific
>> places where Chrome is out of spec on either then bugs should be filed.
>>
>>    Sam Tetherow
>>    Sandhills Wireless
>>

> Webkit is about as standards-compliant as you can get with CSS.
> Javascript is another story because javascript is extended all over
> the place without any good central standards to point to.  V8 is also
> new enough that there are likely to be some issues/bugs that need to
> be ironed out there.  Honestly, the javascript issues I am most
> worried about stem from Gmail, which I'm pretty sure Chrome will
> support fairly well.  Other than that, I prefer most of my sites to
> rely on php/perl, etc. and keep javascript largely out of my browser.

I don't think bugs are where peoples are concerned as much as with
'proprietary' extensions (custom probably a better word considering the
license).  I would image where they deviate from the norm (firefox or
IE) it will be to be compliant with the spec.
> I made the mistake of trying out IE8 beta 1 (which wouldn't uninstall
> on XP SP3).  It was horrifically slow.  It was a mammoth memory hog.
> The "standards compliant mode" got something like a 37% score on
> ACID2, and IE7 mode couldn't render pages that did load correctly in
> IE7.  The only new features worth noting seemed lifted straight from
> Flock, and allowed you to easily access web services such as blogging.
>
> Honestly, I'm a little shocked that Chrome hasn't veered a little into
> that direction, but probably they want to avoid any anti-trust talk of
> bundling Google web-services on top of their API in their browser,
> especially after how much they bitched about IE defaulting to Live
> Search.

Probably a good thing given the concern over clause 11 in the EULA
(Content license from you).  I'm betting we'll see an amendment to the
EULA or a clarification somewhere down the line.

    Sam Tetherow
    Sandhills Wireless