[olug] Chrome

Will Langford unfies at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 19:26:13 UTC 2008

Innovation is a difficult argument.
Mouse gestures, middle click scrolling, etc are harolded by some as must
haves, I personally don't care :) ... and don't use any of them.  I know
many people who hate a lot of the new features in FF3 and kill them on the
spot.  KDE4 fork anyone ?

JS speed improvements might be code innovation and make more possible on the
end user side -- as such it might be innovation ?

Process isolation is very narly.  While not very useful for the every day
user, I've already found it useful.  I'm unsure if possible memory thrashing
is good/bad/untested.  Tab re-arrangement is handy.
 Tab-dragging-between-windows-etc has also been quite handy.  Minimalistic
interface is a good thing IMHO... but I prefer most of my apps to be
minimalistic unless it's development related.  The entire menu bar being
hidden within the 'page' icon next to the address bar is a good thing IMHO.
 I don't hit the menu bar often in browsers.  Kiosk-mode-esque stuff is
handy.

Privacy concerns are noteworthy.

I think the last really useful 'innovation' in a solitary browser release
(rather than standards upgrades) would have to be the Opera 3/4/5 era.  Lots
of auto-form-fill-in-stuff, tabby goodness, etc etc etc.

If the Chrome layout is so that
gears/modules/extensions/controls/pick-your-symbolic-name can be added in...
with minimal impact on resources, then that might be a good way to describe
innovative without anything being immediately apparent.  KDE4 fork anyone ?
:)

-Will

PS. Sorry for repeated KDE fork jab.  I just find all the fork'ers silly :).