[olug] To Sudo or Not to Sudo, That is the Question

Kevin sharpestmarble at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 04:00:03 UTC 2008

In the environment at work where we have sudo set up properly, I never
su to root or login as such. At home, where I'm the only person that
can screw something up, I'll log in as root.

If you need tracking such as to identify just who it was that ran the
command `sudo rm -rf /*`, sudo is a great tool. If you need to give a
QA Analyst the ability to bounce a service without being able to
modify that service at all, it's a great tool. For a sandbox or a home
system, however, it's unnecessary.