[olug] OT: evil poll

T. J. Brumfield enderandrew at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 01:58:31 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 7:56 PM, DYNATRON tech <dynatron at gmail.com> wrote:
> if you don't think it was purchased in 2000, i don't know what to say to
> you.

Read the Constitution.  States have the power as states to turn in
electoral votes as they see fit.  They are not required by the federal
government to respect popular vote.  If Florida as a state decided to
go with Bush, the state had that right.  I'm all for a Constitutional
amendment that requires a federal popular vote and completely
eliminates the electoral college.  Some might say it will punish a
state like Delaware, where the population is so low that they get the
guaranteed minimum of 3 electoral votes.  In a true popular vote,
they'd lose some power with the small population.

That being said, fraud happens on both sides.  Acorn is a good
example.  In the last presidential election, I discovered my vote was
"conditional" because a dozen different voters registered at my
address, but legally I was the only person at that address who could
vote.  (My wife is Canadian.  She pays taxes and is a permanent
resident, but can't vote.  So much for no taxation without
representation.)  Frankly, Nebraska is the reddest state in the union
statistically.  The only reason I can understand voter fraud in Omaha
either would be to swing a local election, or Democrats trying to
steal the Omaha district electoral vote.  Logically it doesn't make
sense for Republicans to focus on voter fraud in an area they're all
but guaranteed to win in.

-- T. J.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of
people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."
--Douglas Adams
"Nihilism makes me smile."
--Christopher Quick