[olug] OT: evil poll

T. J. Brumfield enderandrew at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 22:44:39 UTC 2008

Explaining why isn't a sin.  People can express differing opinions
without there being an argument.

While McCain's views on civil liberties are less than stellar (he
doesn't think non-citizens should be protected by the Constitution,
and he is all for warrantless wiretapping), Biden is actually even
worse.  Biden has long supported warrantless wiretapping, years before
9/11.  Look at Biden's voting record for the past few years, and
you'll see that Biden just doesn't believe in personal privacy.  Biden
has one of the single worst technology voting records in Congress
(check Cnet's rankings).  Obama said he was against warrantless
wiretapping, and yet voted for FISA.

The president is a PR figure who must deal with foreign relations.
Obama has made serious faux paus, such as making fun of a guy's
physical deformities, stating that there are 57 states, etc.  Obama
also scares me with he statements on Iran.  Obama promises he will
establish good relations with foreign leaders, but McCain already has
that rapport, as well as decades of experience with foreign diplomacy.
 McCain has experience bringing about the end of war.

Both McCain and Obama failed us in Congress when it came to spending
and financial issues.  Both demanded we sign off on a bailout that
added nearly 2 trillion dollars of debt this year alone.  The entire
debt is over 10 trillion, and again 2 of that came THIS YEAR.  Both
are talking about issuing checks and rebates to Americans when we're
already over-spending.  I'm not sure either is really better on
overspending given their record, but Obama's plans scare me more.
While McCain wants to do a cap-and-trade to help with oil dependency
and carbon emissions problems (which I largely agree with), Obama's
solution is to place a windfall tax on oil companies and then issue
rebate checks to Americans for gas.

The problem is that we did this once in history with Jimmy Carter.
Oil companies responded by raising prices more than they were taxed.
Meanwhile, taxpayers are also paying for the added bureaucracy of the
tax-and-rebate program.  I'd rather just skip the whole mess, and not
raise gas prices in the first place.

Neither candidate has all the solutions.  Neither candidate has me
excited.  But when it comes to the most important issues for the
President, I'm voting against Obama.  And I assume that in Omaha (not
Nebraska on the whole) that places me more in the minority.

***Whomever wins, I really hope the country drops some the partisan
in-fighting, and start focusing on solutions rather than party
lines.***

-- T. J. Brumfield