[olug] (sorta OT) Splitting a dual layer DVD ISO to multiple single layer DVD/CDs

John Hobbs john at velvetcache.org
Tue Oct 28 14:19:48 UTC 2008

I think not, DVD Shrink is degrades and compresses the MPEG files on a dvd
to slim it down, not to compress general data and have it expand.  Shrinking
a DVD is a lossy operation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvd_shrink

Possibly you could dd off one DVD's worth, burn it, move it, dd off the
other DVD's worth, burn it, move it and then cat them together to get an ISO
on the other machine.  But I'm guessing you are doing a fresh distro
install, so that prob. wont work (maybe with a business card distro though?)

Or you could just find a dual layer dvd player and temporarily install it
:-)

- John Hobbs

john at velvetcache.org