[olug] OT: ASUS M3N78 Pro mbd question

Will Langford unfies at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 23:25:19 UTC 2008

Power supplies and memory are finicky things.
Power supply and faulty memory would have been my first two guesses.  Next
up would be to reseat CPU and other standard issue things with computer
repair.  Last up would be making sure that the memory you've got is
spec-matched to fit in the mobo.

I've had sticks of RAM go out in the field that came back with servers that
weren't behaving.  Before going into the field, we Memtest86 everything for
at least a single pass.  When it came back, it still passed Memtest86.  On a
hunch, I let it run Memtest86 overnight.  It started fail after the 5th
pass.  Replaced RAM, fixed.  This was the second system I've noticed this
on.

With the MediaGX (or AMD/NSC Geode classic 200-300MHz chips), I've seen
partially hosed chips.  Unexplainable for sure :).

-Will