[olug] Keeping digital backup copies [Was: DVD Ripping]

Will Langford unfies at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 16:49:37 UTC 2008

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 11:30 AM, Sam Tetherow <tetherow at shwisp.net> wrote:

> Currently you are not allowed to make backup copies of movies.  Real
> Networks is currently in litigation over the issue with their RealDVD
> Ripper/Player and are under injunction not to sell the product pending a
> verdict.
>
>    Sam Tetherow
>    Sandhills Wireless

DVD Copy programs have existed for years.  While Real is a big a name...
uhm... it'd be a bit late to start suing companies.

I think the beef with the Real software is it adds an extra license on top
of the DVD license.  Real is basically charging you a license for a work
they did not create.

This is a generally fairly uniformed take on the situation... having not
read any decent summaries due to typical troll/flame bait being involved.

----

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/F?c105:6:./temp/~c105ltlI0R:e11962:

I'm not seeing anything specific 'for distribution'.

Under the DMCA, you *can't* make a decryptor no matter what the cause AFAIK.
 The first 2 or 3 pages seem quite clear.

I think the synopsis is: fair use, you have a right to make backups etc etc
etc.  DMCA: you don't have a right to make a decryptor that allows you to
exercise your fair use rights.

-Will