[olug] DVD Ripping

Will Langford unfies at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 18:31:21 UTC 2008

Unrelated / OT.

For a while I backed up to CD's at home.  After noticing bit rot on a couple
CD's, I grew.... annoyed and don't particularly trust optical media these
days either :(.

I hate the thought of backing up data to any magnetic media (ie: I started
hating floppies around age 6 or 7)... so... the prospect of backing up to
hard drives and similar seems quite... blargh as well.  And, I don't
particularly care for tape either.  Evil magnetic rubbish :).  And evil bit
rot on optical.

So - I don't have a currently active backup system heh.  I instead just rely
on every system running RAID1/RAID5 to keep everything happy... and assume
my OS won't eat my system :).

If I were to choose one, it would undoubtedly be some kind of NAS or similar
in a RAID array... powering it up on a schedule to handle maintenance like
replacing failed drives, etc.  This way failed media wouldn't be the end of
the world, and hopefully being a network type device - ya wouldn't have to
worry about finding appropriate hardware to interface with for your storage
medium (tape drive, optical drive, etc).  I would also assume that moving
data from said device to another similar backup device would do well after
the next technology breakthrough/evolution.

In relation to the SSD write durability thread recently - has there been any
infos regarding real world life time of flash or other media ?  Would it be
a possibly viable archive system (even if a bit on the pricey side) ?

-Will