[olug] DVD Ripping

Will Langford unfies at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 16:53:26 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 11:40 AM, John Hobbs <john at velvetcache.org> wrote:

> > ... On one hand, it will cost money for
> > the HDDs, but when I'm done I figure I can put my collection of discs
> > on craigslist and get some money back for selling off a couple hundred
> > DVDs.
>
> Didn't think of that, I see the benefit. (Dear reader: If you are the
> MPAA, he's just kidding ;-)

Heh.

Space is a very big concern, especially if you keep the discs in their
original packaging.  If you don't, you can do a carousel or wallet kind of
thing... but... that is still tedious.

Not having to find a lost disc. Not having to worry about a scratched disc.
 Not having to get off arse to spend upwards to a 15 minutes looking for
package/disc.  Not having to return disc to package and package to storage.
 Not having to worry about multiple players with possibly stacks of discs
around them.  Space considerations mentioned above :). Depending on storage
solution - being able to pack up a NAS or similar and take your entire movie
collection somewhere could be... interesting :).

My personal choice for such a system would be to eliminate disc hunting all
together.  The time it takes to find a package, make sure the disc is in
there, put it in the DVD player, possibly switch devices on
tuner/tv/whatever, etc... can be... annoying for the lazy people :).  Not to
mention I have a 5 year old... and keeping discs in their containers and
their containers organized is nigh impossible (ass beatings help, but...
aren't always perfect).  Also - if several people rape the DVD stash,
entropy is sure to occur.

-Will