[olug] VNC/SSH tunnel

Eric P eric.maillist at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 21:07:19 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 5:27 AM, David Walker <olug at grax.com> wrote:
> You can set the alternate port number in your ~/.ssh/config file or in
> /etc/ssh/ssh_config file and vnc will use it.
>
> The logic of locking Vino to localhost and then using the
>  vncviewer -via "friend at 192.168.1.106" localhost:0
> command seems correct.  I use kde so I can't test to see if it works for
> me though.

Changing the port for tSSH server is done on the server side.  The VNC
*client* is on another computer and won't know which port SSH is
running on the *server*.  I need to explicitly tell VNC which port to
use for the SSH tunnel.

I can just pass in the port in the alternative method for creating the
SSH tunnel.
So in one terminal:
ssh -p 2211 -C -L 6000:localhost:5900 friend at 192.168.1.106

And then in another:
vncviewer localhost:6000

But I'd still rather use vncviewer with the -via command so that I
don't leave open SSH connections laying around.

Eric