[olug] OT: bacon s'getti sauce

Thomas D. Williamson twilliam at inebraska.com
Tue Oct 7 12:22:43 UTC 2008

For most of the world bacon is not the fatty pork that is cured and
smoked. Most bacon elsewhere, something both cured and smoked is more
like what we call Canadian bacon, closer to small smoked and cured
pork loin, mostly meat with little fat. It is kind of like football in
America versus football in the rest of he world. Fat back is used
fresh most places although some form of curing it occurs as well in
many places. The smoking of the pork parts with curing was not a
common practice.

That was why the Cabonara was considered an American adaptation, using
the bacon instead of another product. I think for the flavor, the use
of American bacon does a better job if smokiness and that particular
fat flavor is needed.

Tom Williamson