[olug] calling solaris guru...

Tim & Alethea Larson thelarsons3 at cox.net
Sun Nov 30 22:37:57 UTC 2008

Hello.  I am hoping that someone more knowledgable about Solaris and Sun
hardware is lurking about this list.

Yesterday I put a different HD in my Ultra 5 and tried to do a fresh
install of Solaris 9 from CD.  The installer partitioned the drive and
copied the files over, but upon reboot it could not find the HD.  When I
probe-ide at the OB prompt, the HD is not found.  But if I boot from CD,
it finds the HD partition and asks if it's OK to install there.  When
booted single-user from the CD, I can fsck the partition in question,
and it reports some errors that it claims to fix (a 2nd fsck is clean).
  But when I try to boot from HD again to continue installation, it
still says the device is not found.

I've been around this loop a couple times now.  Is there something else
I can try to do to repair the HD, or at least wall off the bad
blocks/sectors somehow?

Thanks in advance,
Tim
--