[olug] Advice on a new rig

Dave Rowe dave at roweware.com
Tue Nov 25 21:27:40 UTC 2008

Obi-Wan wrote:
>> Same here.  Using the 'server' kernel from Kubuntu on my desktop, I'm
>> able to have everything working, not using any 64-bit stuff, and still
>> use my full 4GB of RAM.
>>
>> The kernel just needs the PAE/HIMEM4G enabled via the CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G
>> I believe.
>
> I'm just using the stock Ubuntu 7.10 i686 desktop kernel.

Right, but that is where the video memory comes into play, I believe.
If I run stock 'desktop' kernel on the same machine, top reports my
memory at around 3.2G if I remember correctly.  The trouble I had with
previous 'server' kernels was support for nVidia drivers and what not.
It seemed like my sound card and friends wouldn't play nicely with those
kernels.