[olug] Qwest and IP assignment

Christopher Cashell topher-olug at zyp.org
Tue Nov 25 14:19:45 UTC 2008

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 11:31 PM, Will Langford <unfies at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Another friend I was just speaking with mentioned that even though there
>> isn't a web interface at the gateway
>> (10.64.0.1), I may be able to telnet into it and mess around.
>>

> I'm wondering if Qwest is the one giving you a Qwest-internal-network of
> 10.64.0.1.  I'm also curious if that's USB related.  Basically, with
> 10.64.0.1, you're in some kind of private network still.  While you might be
> able to telnet to 10.64.0.1, I'd be very cautious about alot of stuff -- you
> might be accessing something inside the ISP rather than your modem :).

10.64.0.1 is going to be an internal Qwest Choice router address.

> I highly doubt that Qwest would NAT all of it's users... thereby not
> allowing them to run ANY public services.

See my previous e-mail in this thread.  That is exactly what Qwest
Choice does on their Cable Modem service.  You can generally request a
static NAT be setup for you for the purpose of remote access, but you
will still have your common server ports (80, 443, 21, etc) blocked.
To get those unblocked, you have to get a business account, which
costs more money and comes with an ugly bandwidth cap for upstream.

--
Christopher