[olug] Determining cores and sockets on Linux...

Obi-Wan obiwan at jedi.com
Thu Nov 20 23:15:53 UTC 2008

> I think you're on the right track here.  Can't you get number of sockets
> from number of 'cpu cores' lines divided by the value, and the number of
> cores total by counting the number of core id lines.  Perhaps comparing?

I suppose the version of Linux you're running makes a big difference
in what cpuinfo reports.  The two problematic work machines I reported
are running old (2.6.15) and ancient (2.4.32) kernels, respectively.
If you're running new enough kernels, I still like my suggestion of
just counting the "core id : 0" lines to compute sockets.