[olug] samba headache in ubuntu 8.04 laptop

T. J. Brumfield enderandrew at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 18:50:09 UTC 2008

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 11:01 AM,  <woodsjay at cox.net> wrote:
> I've been trying out various releases to replace Fedora 8. So far only Mandriva One 2009 is capable of booting up on the variety of machines being tested.
>
> I haven't been able to handle getting all the packages of interest as well as I have learned to do on Fedora. Many are not available. The ease of getting the installation close to what I want that the groups of packages presented by Fedora gives, hasn't been found yet. The replacement for the livna repositories hasn't been found yet.

Isn't PCLinuxOS built upon Mandriva?  You may want to try that as well then.

openSUSE has a wonderful build service that allows people to build
software on their servers for most major distros.  You can search for
Mandriva RPMs at http://build.opensuse.org and even build something
you're missing if you can't find the RPM anywhere else.  I also
recommend RPM Search at http://rpm.pbone.net/ but frankly if I can't
find an RPM I need, I just build it myself.

-- T. J.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of
people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."
--Douglas Adams
"Nihilism makes me smile."
--Christopher Quick