[olug] samba headache in ubuntu 8.04 laptop

DYNATRON tech dynatron at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 23:52:28 UTC 2008

overall, i have to say that i'm quite disappointed with ubuntu.

1st..using my Gb ethernet connection causes the screen refresh rate to go
all crazy, and if i don't unplug it, i get a kernel panic.

now i just use my wireless which is quite a bit slower. that sucks but i
could live with it if it weren't for the samba issues.

using the live disc i have (although very slow) a completely functional
samba system. i can browse and write to my samba shares once authenticated.
now that i am installed to the HD, i can browse to my workgroup, but nothing
is inside. and, just finding my workgroup is slow as dirt.

i've followed several threads. here's a couple..
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpSamba
http://fixunix.com/ubuntu/519572-ubuntu-8-04-cant-see-windows-network.html
and they seem to have done more damage than good.
just finding my workgroup takes a few minutes now.

anyone know what the deal is?
i can ping the machines with no problem.
2 of these are 2003 dedicated servers. all they do is sit there and dish out
files.
the other is my video editing station which is just sitting there with the
screen(s) locked.
my wireless router is in switch/bridge mode, so there is no issue of
networks being isolated or divided. i should have the same access that i
have with the wired connection. is there some configuration i need to do to
the wireless interface on the laptop?

i'd hate to scrap all the work i've done on this install over the last week,
but i'm about to go back to mandrivafor the laptop again.
the original idea was to switch my whole network over to linux based OS's,
but now i think that would be suicide.

as a side note, ever since i've messed around with the ubuntu live DVD on my
laptop, my ethernet port just causes crashes and screen issues in all OS's.
has anyone ever heard of this before? it took me a day or two to figure out
that the issue was related to my ethernet connection. weird stuff. maybe
just bad timing...