[olug] Getting sound into Audacity

Paul H. Lewis phldml3 at cox.net
Sat Nov 1 20:09:58 UTC 2008

I just put Ubuntu 8.04 LTS on my Dell Dimension 4400 Desktop.
Everything so far is working great with the OS.  Got my network printer
working this morning in CUPS (I'm ecstatic!).  So now I'm working on the
sound system portion and am having trouble.  When I used Windows XP I
had Audacity running and was able to convert some of my old LPs to CD.
I've got many more to convert, but I can't get the audio into Audacity!
I know that the line-in from the stereo is working because I put an
album on the turntable and the sound came out of the PC speakers.
That's a good sign!  But then when I executed Audacity from the
Applications drop down the line meters are still.  I pressed record and
I get flat line!  I went to the Audacity FAQ put their troubleshooting
methodology is Greek to me, since I'm really new to using Linux as a
primary OS.  Can anyone help troubleshoot this?  TIA

Paul