[olug] Firefox 3 launch party

Luke -Jr luke at dashjr.org
Thu May 29 05:26:13 UTC 2008

On Thursday 29 May 2008, Christopher Cashell wrote:
> On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 9:35 PM, Luke -Jr <luke at dashjr.org> wrote:
> > I wonder if there will ever be a Firefox 4. KHTML has been more compliant
> > and lighter for quite some time now (IIRC, around 3.2, over a year ago),
> > and with Qt 4.4 including an integrated WebKit and powerful demo browser,
> > I expect Firefox is going to be losing marketshare to it pretty soon...
>
> Yes.
>
> Say what you will about KHTML (and note that KHTML is directly
> comparable to Gecko, the Mozilla project's rendering engine, it's not
> a browser by itself) being more compliant, but I've had a lot more
> problems with sites not displaying properly in Konqueror than in
> Firefox.

I would venture to guess that these particular sites are not compliant or
correctly designed.

> Couple that with the number of great extensions and the generally better
> (IMO) interface of Firefox, and Konqueror, though installed, gets negligible
> usage by me.  In fact, a few of the extensions are so useful to me that I'd
> be more than willing to give up speed for the features.  Luckily, with
> Firefox3, I get the best of both worlds (and I'd love to see some new
> performance comparisons, 'cause Firefox3 seems to perform really well to
> me).

Yeah, extensions seem to be a big thing for Firefox users, though I really
don't see a need tbh. My last reply addressed that more, so I won't go into
it again.

> More importantly though, on Windows, there are only three browsers
> that have measurable usage stats, IE, Firefox, and Opera (with Opera
> barely making the list).  And like it or not, the vast majority of
> people browsing the web are using Windows.  There's really no kHTML
> (or Webkit) based Windows browsers that get used (and don't say
> Safari. . . I only know one person who runs it on Windows, and he's
> the biggest Mac fanboy I know. . . and even he admits he uses Firefox
> as much or more than Safari).

Again, I'm only predicting a change in marketshare because the software is
changing to address this primary issue: KDE 4 and Qt 4.4 support Windows.