[olug] Damn Small Linux install on WYSE thin client

Shannon ridgid at gmail.com
Tue May 20 02:39:20 UTC 2008

will the WYSE boot without the CF card installed. or have you tried annother
card..  could it be the cards are blank?

here is some interesting info I ran across looking for stuff. looking for
things using http://www.archive.org

*
Winterm FAQs*

*The most frequently asked questions in Technical Support:*

*Q* *How do I stop the auto logon process?
A* AUTO LOGON - STOPPING PROCESS WITH ALT+F4

When the auto logon sequence is counting down from 15 to 0, press "ALT+F4"
to stop auto logon. A window will appear prompting for a username and
password. For username type "administrator"; DO NOT type a password and
press the [Enter] key to return to the CONNECTIONS windows.

If you want to disable auto logon: from the CONNECTIONS window click on
SETUP button. In the CONNECTION SETUP window remove the "x" from the box
labeled "AutoLogin Enable."

*Q* *I got a 1057 error. What can I do to fix this?
A *ERROR 1057 - ELIMINATING MESSAGE BY G-KEY RESET

This error message usually indicates some problem with the installed
firmware that can be corrected by resetting the terminal to its factory
default settings. When reset, the terminal will list two connections,
"Default" and "Manufacturing Selftest (Network)".

Resetting the Winterm terminal:

Begin with terminal power off. Press and continue pressing down on the
terminal keyboard "G" key and power up the terminal. The Wyse Winterm logo
screen will appear followed a few seconds later by a "beep" sound. Release
the "G" key after the beep.

If the above steps fail to reset the terminal try the following variation:
Begin with terminal power off and then power terminal on. When the Wyse
Winterm logo screen appears begin pressing and releasing ("tapping") on the
G key and stop when you hear the beep.

If both these methods fail use a different keyboard and try the above
methods again.

*Q* *Why did my Winterm Terminal hang, and what can be done to correct this?
A* IF YOUR TERMINAL HANGS WHEN:

1. Trying to save connection information
2. Clicking on "Options" button

or hangs when

3. TERMINAL REPORTS MISSING FILES/DRIVERS WHEN ATTEMPTING TO CONNECT

 This usually indicates some problem with the installed firmware that can be
corrected by resetting the terminal to its factory default settings.

Resetting the Winterm terminal: Begin with terminal power off. Press and
continue pressing down on the "G" key and power up the terminal. The Wyse
Winterm logo screen will appear followed a few seconds later by a "beep"
sound. Release the "G" key after the beep.

If the above steps fail to reset the terminal try the following variation:
Begin with terminal power off and then power terminal on. When the Wyse
Winterm logo screen appears begin pressing and releasing ("tapping") on the
G key and stop when you hear the beep.

If both these methods fail use a different keyboard and try the above method
again.

*Q* *My screen is black instead of making a connection and shows no error
messages. How do I correct this?
A* WINTERM SCREEN SHOWS BLACK INSTEAD OF MAKING CONNECTION AND GIVES NO
ERROR MESSAGES.

Cycle the power on the unit: Turn it off then on again. At the "Connections"
window, click on the "Setup" button and close the setup window to force the
unit to write to EPROM. Then attempt connection.