[olug] DDOS attack on my Inbox. Spam "from me" being rejected

Christopher Cashell topher-olug at zyp.org
Thu May 15 22:00:53 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 2:42 PM, Dan Clough <dclough at gmail.com> wrote:
> It's very easy to fight - place SPF entries in your DNS records.

It's that easy. . . in theory. ;-)

> SPF is the best solution because any decent mailserver will recognize that
> the spammer's mailserver isn't authorized to send mail for jays.net, and
> will reject the message in question.  Here's a good BIND-based setup to
> start with:

Adding SPF support absolutely a good idea, and I would encourage
everyone who's running a mailserver to implement it.  However, the
unfortunate fact is that the vast majority of mail servers on the
Internet are not checking for it, or not enforcing it.  I have the SPF
records implemented for my domain, but I still get backscatter spam a
lot more frequently than I'd like.

Hopefully as more people implement (and enforce) SPF, the situation
will improve.

--
Christopher