[olug] NFS

Tim & Alethea Larson thelarsons3 at cox.net
Tue May 13 23:34:03 UTC 2008

Christopher Cashell wrote:
> On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 2:04 PM,  <thelarsons3 at cox.net> wrote:
>> I'm trying to set up NFS for the first time.  I've gone through and
>> synced UIDs across all my systems.  My server (Solaris 10) exports
>> as r/w, and it is mounted r/w on all clients (Linux and NetBSD so
>> far).  However, the clients still can't write to it. Everything I
>> try gives "Permission denied". What else am I missing?
>
> Hrm.  It's hard to say based on that.  Can you provide your
> /etc/exports entry from the NFS server, and the /etc/fstab or mount
> command that you used to mount the NFS share?

Server /etc/dfs/dfstab:
share -F nfs -o
ro,rw=root,root=charliebrown:franklin:shermy:schroeder:olaf -d "pkgsrc"
/usr/pkgsrc

Linux client:
mount -t nfs marcie:/usr/pkgsrc /usr/pkgsrc

> Also, did you check to make sure that the file permissions on the
> share itself allow writing to the directories in question (not just
> in /etc/exports)?  Can the NFS clients read the NFS directories?

Does this matter for root, when I've explicitly given root permission to
act as root on the share?

> Is there anything in /var/log/messages (or wherever) related to NFS
> on the client or servers?

Nothing in /var/log on server, but I don't know where Solaris keeps
these logs.  The only thing I find on the client seem to be attempts to
connect from outside my LAN.  :S  :P

Tim

--
Tim & Alethea