[olug] Semi-local colo facilities

Dan Linder dan at linder.org
Tue May 13 20:34:15 UTC 2008

What are the bandwidth requirements?  If they are minimal (i.e. frequent
rsync backups or other sparse copy mechanism), then someone with a
business-class cablemodem might be able to host this.

Going up the ladder a bit, Jay @ Reboot The User use to host servers, but I
don't know the current status of his T1.

You could try First National Data Services, but I believe they'll be pricey.

Another option you might consider is the Amazon S3 services using
JungleDisk.  I use JD on my wifes computer (WinXP) and it's pretty nice to
have our Quicken files and some other important files backed up over an
encrypted link to an off-site location.  And my biggest bill for the data so
far has been about $0.47 for my testing (involving a lot of uploading /
deleting / re-uploading).

Dan

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 3:22 PM, Chris St. Pierre <stpierre at nebrwesleyan.edu>
wrote:

> We're looking for a reasonably inexpensive, semi-local (but not too
> local) colo facility to house a single, 3U server for some limited
> disk-to-disk backups (thus the requirement that it not be too local).
> The only place I'm aware of in the area is CoSentry, and they're
> looking a little pricey for our current needs.  Can anyone recommend
> any other facilities?  We'd prefer to get out of Lincoln, but we'd
> accept something far away from us in Lincoln.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Chris St. Pierre
> Unix Systems Administrator
> Nebraska Wesleyan University

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" (Who can watch the watchmen?) -- from the
Satires of Juvenal
"I do not fear computers, I fear the lack of them." -- Isaac Asimov (Author)