[olug] Differences between SuSE and RH

Mr Scsi mrscsi at gmail.com
Sat May 10 15:56:31 UTC 2008

*I'm not familiar with AutoYAST, but I really love kickstart.  It took
a fair bit of time to configure everything the way I wanted it (lots
of trial and error), but now that it's running, it makes setting up a
new server as easy as typing one command and walking away for 30 minutes.*

Same here. I never had to learn autoyast, but we have a slick system
developed here,

The asset management guys provision a server in the list (oracle), this
includes the mac of the machine in question.
we push the button and a working machine (RHN included) is but a pxe boot
away.
Usually only takes about 4 minutes from power on to login for a base system.

Thats for x86 and x86_64 and PPC64.

Its even slicker for s390(X), just a disk clone and a script to change the
ip and hostname. about 90 seconds total.