[olug] real time monitoring of apache?

Ryan Stille ryan at cfwebtools.com
Fri May 9 13:53:44 UTC 2008

Chris St. Pierre wrote:
> I'm not familiar with the Windows performance monitor; can you detail
> more of what you're looking for?

Here is a screen shot I just took:
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/1056/perfscreenshotkl0.png

I've only got a couple counters going there, out of the hundreds to
choose from.  I think he probably just wants to see how "busy" the
server is.  So that would be requests per second, current unique users
(IIS shows this but I don't think Apache keeps track), avg request time,
bytes sent (per sec or min or something), things like that.

Obi-Wan wrote:
> How "real time" does it need to be?  Is a 5-minute average good enough?
> If so, MRTG, Cacti, RRDTool, or the like might have something that
> could pull stats from Apache and graph them over time.  For me,
> Analog has provided as much info (daily update) as I've ever needed.
>
> Knowing which stats you need and how he wants the presented would
> be helpful.

5 minutes won't be enough.  When a client airs an infomercial, my boss
wants to watch the site usage in real time and see how its performing.

Really I think the server-status page might have everything he needs, if
there was something that displayed that info in a "pretty" way that
might solve the problem.  Something that requests the server-status page
every few seconds, graphs out some of the values, and leaves off some of
the other values???

-Ryan