[olug] Differences between SuSE and RH

Mr Scsi mrscsi at gmail.com
Fri May 9 13:17:06 UTC 2008

*1) If I pull down a recent Fedora and fire it up, will that get me fairly
close to the way Enterprise does things?

* In short Yes. FC5,6,7 = RHEL4
FC8,(and soon 9) = RHEL5(.5)
*
**2) What major differences (besides the package manager) can I expect
between
RH Enterprise and SuSE Enterprise?
*
In RHEL4.x they used up2date.
In RHEL5.x they switched to YUM. Depending on where your new shop is at in
the deployment cycle, you could see both.
NO YAST(2) thank <insert diety of choice here> !! Config locations seem to
be normal (init 5 style) chkconfig, /sbin/service etc... and modifying the
NFS service doesn't rewrite the config for apache..
OK that last one was a personal jab on my part.
*
*In short, you should be fine with minor learning curves along the way.

If I sound bias... I might be.
I'm RHCE since rh7.3
working on RHCA.

Andy*