[olug] PC ringer for POTS phone

Obi-Wan obiwan at jedi.com
Thu May 8 20:58:34 UTC 2008

> How loud is your music?  It's odd for an 18 year old to say this but you
> shouldn't crank your music too loud.  Try to turn it down to a point where
> you can hear the ringer.

Not not exceedingly loud, but with good headphones, external noises
are insulated enough that I can't distinquish a ringing phone from
the music I'm hearing.  I want to hear all the intricacies of the
music I'm listening too, and turning it down too far prevents that.
Even with my POS ear buds, I can barely hear the ringer during the
more active songs.

> Also, doesn't the phone have some kind of blinker or status light on it?  I
> have a Key System (Atlas) at home, and all of the station indicators light
> up when a call comes in.  If possible, just position your phone right next
> to your monitor, and try not to focus too hard on the stuff on the screen.

It does, but it's small, and the phone sits far enough off to the side
that it's past my peripheral vision.  There really isn't a place near
my monitors to set it.