[olug] EeePC, 4G w/Webcam

Carl Lundstedt clundst at unlserve.unl.edu
Tue Mar 11 21:59:38 UTC 2008

I had a macbook pro,  the last 12inch G4 model.  I give it a solid "eh".

Liked: good battery life, good functionality, nifty mac programs for
non-work things (iLife for instance).  (This machine is probably very
cheap now.)

Bads:  didn't like MACs gui.  Didn't like the one button mouse.  Didn't
like the small screen real estate.  Took some effort to get generic
X-windows to work right.  Took some effort to get development tools
(gcc) to work right.

I finally turned this Mac back in. It wasn't a bad machine, but I
couldn't get used to it and it felt cramped (screen wise, the keyboard
was fine).  I went to a Dell Latitude with an AMD turion in it and I'm
much happier.  I run primarily windows on it with Cygwin if I need to
pop things up from a remote server.  I also have a somewhat crufty
install of knoppix on it (since there's a bug that won't let most
distros recognize the HD until the machine is fully up I had install
knoppix on the thing).  I don't boot it over to linux too much because
Windows+Cygwin usually gets me where I need to go for 9/10 things I do
during the day.  It was also 1/2 the price, twice the RAM and 1.5 times
the HD space. With the upgraded (9 cell) battery and the back light
turned down low I can get over 5 hours of 'surfin/email/ssh' use on one
charge.

YMMV.

Carl Lundstedt
UNL