[olug] EeePC, 4G w/Webcam

Obi-Wan obiwan at jedi.com
Tue Mar 11 21:58:14 UTC 2008

> On a related note, I'm in need of a new laptop and I'm trying to figure
> out what route to go...  I really only use my laptop when I travel and
> some out in the field to connect to routers and access points for
> network maintenance.  I doesn't have to be some monster with a big
> screen or a screaming processor.  As it will most be used for ssh,
> firefox and thunderbird.

You can pick up a used 12" Dell laptop refurb or off-lease model for
$300-400 at http://www.dell.com/outlet
That's what I'll probably do once I get some free time.  I need
something portable, and a 14-15" screen is larger than I want.

> However, I have been thinking recently about getting a used macbook.
> I've never owned a mac before but they seem pretty popular with the tech
> crowd.  I would appreciate feedback from those who own(ed) one.  What is
> great about them, in comparison to a decent linux laptop running
> something like ubuntu or another modern distro.  Especially when I have
> to justify the cost compared to a similar non-mac laptop.

I'll happily sell you my 12" Mac iBook so I can buy a used Dell.
No, wait, you're a friend, and I couldn't sleep at night knowing I'd
saddled you with that POS Mac.

My iBook is hands down the least reliable computer I've ever used, and
that covers more than two decades and dozens of OSes.  It acts like
memory errors, with apps randomly dying and occastionally the entire OS
locking up, but exhaustive memory tests and two weeks with Apple
warranty service turned up nothing.

Also, I hate the Apple mentality, which is that they know the best way
for you to do your work.  If you want to do something that they didn't
expect, you're just screwed.

They're also way overpriced.  I can sell my 4-yr-old, dog-slow iBook on
eBay for $400 and then turn around and buy a brand new Windows laptop
(to be wiped for Ubuntu, of course) for no additional cash.  Mac
devotees are either very wealthy, very stupid, or both.

Yes, OS/X is a very pretty environment, and nobody makes an integrated
experience for newbies like Apple can.  However, anybody who knows
enough about computers to hang out on this list would quickly get
frustrated working with a Mac, IMHO.

So, Sam, what'll you offer me for my iBook?