[olug] Old Dell 20GB laptop HDD...

Dan Linder dan at linder.org
Mon Mar 10 16:56:33 UTC 2008

Everyone,

I'm working on salvaging some data from a friends Dell laptop (older 2002
vintage Inspiron 2600).  It appears the controller board of the HDD died,
and I've tried all the old tricks to try to get it limping along enough to
copy the data off (refrigerator / freezer, taping it gently etc). My last
resort is to try swapping the HDD's controller board and see if it's the
electronics that's fried.  I'm putting out a call to see if anyone has one
"cheap".

To do this, I need a close match.  Here are the specs of the current drive:
 * Hitachi DK23DA-20 (20GiB HDD)
 * ~ 5 years old
 * Firmware: 2JA0G0.

If anyone has one that's even a Hitachi from the same line (but different
size and/or firmware), let me know.   It's only 20GB so it'll probably be
one in the bottom of a box somewhere if you have one. :-)

Thanks!

Dan

--
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" (Who can watch the watchmen?) -- from the
Satires of Juvenal