[olug] im logging

Jason Troy jason.troy at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 12:30:41 UTC 2008

Packet loggers on the network level seem to be the *best* way to capture
what's going on, whether its email, web surfing or chatting. There would be
a TON of data to filter through, but there are tools available to "replay"
and help sift through the chaff.

Also, keep in mind, this is essentially useless if, (to use Tony's example)
they use meebo and put https:// on the beginning.
In that case, you could proxy the communication and setup a self-signed cert
from the kids computer to the proxy in order to decrypt at the proxy /
logger level.

Seriously though, if I really felt I needed to do that just to be able to
trust my kids, I'd just say "no" and take the computer away.
As only gone as far as to ask some pointed questions and show them the
router log that has the URLs / timestamp and point out that we don't look at
"that stuff" in this house. (Then of course they lose their social /
electronic life for a week)

-- JT

It seems so fun to think of ways around these devices (besides