[olug] Omaha Cox at Home cable modem service and open/closed ports.

Dan Linder dan at linder.org
Wed Mar 5 16:48:50 UTC 2008

On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 10:36 AM, Luke -Jr <luke at dashjr.org> wrote:

> @Home went out of business years ago. It's all "Cox high speed internet"
> now... If you want to use ports 25 or 80 on a residential account, you'll
> need to use some hacks to bypass their port blocking (not trivial). If you
> do
> take this route, be sure to get proof if they ever catch or sue you over
> it.
> You can do this by calling and emailing them asking what ports are
> blocked.
> They will deny not only that ports are blocked, but that there is any AUP
> or
> ToS at all. You cannot be held liable for "agreeing" to an AUP/ToS you
> weren't told existed, especially when Cox will outright deny their
> existence.

I agree on getting the AUP in writing (physical better, but electronic
e-mail stating they don't have it is OK).

Anyway, I don't plan to move my e-mail back, and the webserver would only be
for simple family stuff (such as photo sharing with extended family, etc).

My next big step is to see if I've let enough time go by to get out of my
contract easily without having to fight the "early termination" stuff.   (I
think I have...)  FWIW, I'm not to impressed with the Work vs. Home
speed/latency/etc.  Their speed claims on the Work appear to be at best a
"burst" speed rating, or the maximum if you're talking directly to their
on-network servers.  Once you get off the Cox network the speeds degrade
dramatically.  I expected some drop, but connections to major sites such as
Microsoft.com and Cisco.com weren't nearly as consistent as when I worked at
IPRevolution/CoSentry and would download 25+MB Cisco IOS images and Windows
service packs at "blazing fast speeds"... (I think my laptops HDD was the
limiting factor in some downloads -- it was THAT fast!)

Dan

--
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" (Who can watch the watchmen?) -- from the
Satires of Juvenal