[olug] im logging

Dan Linder dan at linder.org
Mon Mar 3 02:49:50 UTC 2008

On Sun, Mar 2, 2008 at 2:43 PM, Luke -Jr <luke at dashjr.org> wrote:

> On Saturday 01 March 2008, Kelly Williams wrote:
> > that would work but she is using Windoz just looking for a program to
> > work in the background because his kids knows how to disable logging in
> > msn messager..
>
> "If you disable logging, you can't use the computer anymore."

<soapbox>
Excuse me for a minute while I continue to take this down a slightly
different path than was originally requested.  I think the original poster
was looking for a simple logging utility (which others have discussed).  I
wanted to put something out here that might get Google'd by some future
parent and give them some easy-to-implement non-technical options.

I agree with Luke-Jr and others who have recommended a more non-technical
option.  Regardless of the logging method chosen, here are the basic
recommendations that my wife (an 8th grade teacher) gives to parents during
conferences:
1: Keep the computers in a very public part of the house: living room,
family room, rec-room, etc.  DON'T let the kids have their own computer in
their bedrooms.
2: When the kids are on the computer, keep tabs on them: ask "who are you
talking with?", "what are you discussing?", "what website is that?", etc.
No, don't grill them for every detail, but let them know that you are there.
3: Set limits on when they can use the computer.  Our daughter can't use the
computer for fun/entertainment unless she has her homework done.  She also
has to ask for permission to use it.  She's a first grader after all -- you
can modify this as they get more mature (*MATURE*, not just *OLDER*).  We
also don't allow it to be used when she is suppose to be in bed sleeping --
again, not a concern as much with our child, but older children might sneak
down to chat with others after hours.
4: Remind them of appropriate and inappropriate sites and on-line
activities.
5: If they are old enough to purchase their own computer (and try to use the
"it's mine, I'll do what I want" argument), just change "computer" to "car"
or other non-technical object.  Just because they might have purchased their
own car doesn't mean that you'll allow them to drive it all night and/or do
"secret" things with it.
6: We've lumped the computer in with the TV and telephone as the first group
of items to be restricted when punished.  Be prepared to enforce it.
</soapbox>

Dan

--
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" (Who can watch the watchmen?) -- from the
Satires of Juvenal