[olug] Myth TV / Cox Digital Box questions etc

Will Langford unfies at gmail.com
Sat Jun 28 18:35:31 UTC 2008

Shawn & Ben!

Thank you so much for info on both.

With the mention of dual tuner, I debated the HD HomeRun using coax
out of cox box as second input, but with comparisons at:

http://www.kenisacson.com/projects/20060108-Mediacenter-Videotests/index.htm

I think I'll skip coax as second in :).  The thought/ability of the
unicast to where-ever I happen to be is ... really tempting.  Dunno if
a dedicated box for it is required or if I can get Myth to broadcast
it as well.. meh.  Just... not a requirement at the moment.

Ben: love the mini tute and assuming I get some kind of wireless
remote thing to work with it... all too tempting :).  Plus, expanding
it with lotsa tuners is very tempting as well.

Shawn: I echo the 'not wanting to support it' sentiments as well, and
is the main draw for looking into Tivo... as well as overly researched
and 'simple' front end.  Said with caution as I've yet to play with
Myth.  The last I looked at linux tv capture was 6 or 7 years ago :).
It's great to know that Tivo digital cable stuff works here in Omaha,
though... and makes it a serious alternative.

I'm thinking I'll prolly end up going with Myth stuffs... I believe
it'll offer more options (ie: possibility of some computer based games
on TV?) and ... might be fun to tinker with.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116609

PVR350, $129 :).

-Will