[olug] Myth TV / Cox Digital Box questions etc

Shawn Mattingly smattin at mimezine.org
Sat Jun 28 05:57:41 UTC 2008

I have a Tivo HD and a Series 3 (both are dual Cablecard) with Cox
service.  The digital TV works great and HD is beautiful.  The monthly
rental is something like $3.00/each (slightly cheaper than a normal
digital box) and you can get a Tivo plan for ~$12/mo...taken together
just about what you would end up paying for the Cox HD DVR.  You also
now have the option of getting a Lifetime subscription for the unit up
front which will end up paying off in about 4 years if you plan on
keeping the unit.  On Demand stuff doesn't work but we never used it
anyway.  The Tivo-to-go feature makes saving recorded video off to a PC
a snap (it saves the files in MPEG2 format and if you use Tivo Desktop
Plus, you can have it automatically transcode to a different format for
a portable device)

I drank the Tivo Kool-Aid because of the user interface...my wife is not
a technophile and she is a very capable Tivo user (probably better than
me).  Most importantly, I am not on the hook for supporting it...the TV
is critical infrastructure in our house and I rather not be stuck fixing
the media server while my household CEO and my two kids are making
sarcastic comments about my technical abilities while they miss their
favorite shows.  I do network support for a day job, if I bring my work
home I'd rather be doing something that interests me on my own terms and
my own schedule.

I have tinkered around with Myth and it looks really interesting, but I
don't really expect the rest of the family to use it unless they want to
(my kids are 5 and 3, so they won't be ripping HD feeds of BSG and
torrenting them for a few years yet).  I'll probably set a myth system
up in the Man Cave/Home Theater but the Tivo's will remain our everyday
media systems.

Shawn