[olug] Cox DVR questions...

Dan Linder dan at linder.org
Thu Jun 26 16:26:58 UTC 2008

Ok, our old ReplayTV 5504 finally bit the dust (both the Ethernet and modem
ports are fried)... So, we're going to move to the Cox Digital cable and
their DVR.  Now for some geek questions!

I see it has Ethernet, USB, and FireWire -- are any of these ports active on
the units or do they need something from Cox to activate them?

If they are active, what can I do with them?  (I'd like to be able to either
expand the HDD capacity or copy videos off to a PC or CD/DVD -- something
that I should have done with some recording on the ReplayTV...)

Does anyone have an old ReplayTV they aren't using?  If so, I might see if
we could do a HDD swap for a short bit so I can bring it up and pull off the
recordings?  Or is there a PC/Linux software program I can use to access the
HDD directly.

Thanks!  I'm finally moving into the 21st century!

Dan

--
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" (Who can watch the watchmen?) -- from the
Satires of Juvenal