[olug] Anyone using monowall in a commercial setting?

Christopher Cashell topher-olug at zyp.org
Mon Jun 23 16:50:52 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 3:42 PM, Ryan Stille <ryan at cfwebtools.com> wrote:
> Anyone using monowall in a production environment?  I'm thinking about
> replacing our two aging Cisco routers with it.

I played with monowall a long time ago, but never really used it much.
Not sure if it's still a good choice, or not.

One company/project I've been keeping an eye on that looks very
promising is Vyatta.  They offer an Open Source router/firewall/vpn
installation or appliance, and also offer paid support services.
They're attempting to compete with Cisco and the big boys, at least on
the lower end of the router spectrum.

Their support prices look quite reasonable, if you're interested in
that.  If not, it's a Linux based (Debian, to be specific) platform,
and built on open source, so you do have full control.  They also look
to have quite a bit of decent documentation on their site.

I've pulled down the VMware appliance they have available for
download, and toyed with it a little bit.  Haven't done a full install
myself, yet, but I plan to soon.

http://www.vyatta.com is their commercial site.
http://www.vyatta.org is their 'community' (open source) site.

--