[olug] NX and KUbuntu

Dan Linder dan at linder.org
Wed Jun 18 21:32:31 UTC 2008

For a long time I had used VNC over a VPN or SSH connection - it worked, but
was never as snappy nor as fluid as MS TerminalServer.  Once I went to NX, I
was amazed at the responsiveness and I started seeing the "jerky-ness" of
MS-TS more and more! :-) Accessing my home machine (on Cox) via my companies
DSL (on QWest) was almost like sitting at the console - it is that smooth to
use.

I'll admit the initial configuration of NX was daunting, and I haven't used
it for anything other than connecting to my home desktop machine from my
workstation at the office so I haven't had to deal with multi-user
interaction.

I think in the past 9+ months there have been some good HowTo's put out
there - Google for them and if none work yell and I'll try breaking and
re-installing my NX configuration in the name of science.... :-)

Dan

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 1:26 PM, Luke -Jr <luke at dashjr.org> wrote:

> Honestly, I'm not sure how anyone uses NX on a regular basis. I was never
> able
> to get it to work, and from trying to debug the problems, it did appear to
> be
> a lot of incorrect assumptions about system configuration. Most other
> people
> I hear talking about NX seem to have similar experiences. Mind if I ask how
> you managed to get it to work? The theory seems better than VNC, at
> least...
>
> (FWIW, the biggest problem I recall encountering was the assumption that
> there
> was only a single X display on the client)
>
> Luke

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" (Who can watch the watchmen?) -- from the
Satires of Juvenal
"I do not fear computers, I fear the lack of them." -- Isaac Asimov (Author)